BruxZir® Solid Zirconia
About the Product
BruxZir® Solid Zirconia is a monolithic zirconia crown, bridge, screw-retained implant crown, inlay or onlay with no porcelain overlay. First launched as being “More Brawn Than Beauty,” the material was originally intended to provide a durable, more esthetic alternative to posterior metal occlusal PFMs or cast gold restorations for demanding situations like bruxers, implant restorations and areas with limited occlusal space. Now, thanks to the new BruxZir Shaded formulation, BruxZir restorations exhibit improved translucency and color similar to natural dentition, making them a restorative option in the anterior as well. Complete color penetration all the way through the restorations ensures greater shade consistency and prevents any shade change after occlusal adjustment.
The material’s unique composition has well documented research from Clinicians Report® and The Dental Advisor proving its superior clinical performance and translucency compared to competitors of its class.
Recognized as a leading performer in the ceramic-polymer material category, having demonstrated just 2 percent cementation failure after one year of independent clinical study*
Production Time: 5 working days in-lab
*An independent, nonprofit, dental education and product testing foundation, Clinicians Report®, November, 2018.
- Shoulder preparation not needed, feather edge is okay. Any preparation with at least 0.5 mm of occlusal space is acceptable.
- Minimum occlusal space of 0.5 mm, but 1 mm is ideal.
Adjust BruxZir Solid Zirconia restorations using a fine-grit diamond with light pressure to avoid potential microfractures. The specially designed Axis Dental BruxZir Adjustment & Polishing Set (LS-7579) may be purchased through your dental dealer or by calling 800-355-5063.
- A football-shaped bur is most effective for adjusting the occlusal surfaces of posterior teeth and lingual surfaces of anterior teeth.
- A tapered bur is most effective for adjusting proximal contacts.
- A round bur is used to adjust a cusp or fossa and for creating endodontic access.
Polish BruxZir restorations with the porcelain polishing system of your choice, or purchase the BruxZir Adjustment & Polishing Set.
- Ceramir® Crown & Bridge (Doxa Dental; Newport Beach, Calif.) or a resin-reinforced glass ionomer cement such as RelyX™ Luting Cement (3M ESPE; St. Paul, Minn.) or GC Fuji Plus™ (GC America; Alsip; Ill.)
- For short or over-tapered preparations, use a resin cement such as RelyX™ Unicem (3M ESPE) or Panavia™ F2.0 (Kuraray; New York, N.Y.)
BruxZir restorations are fabricated from solid zirconia oxide material, much like the zirconia oxide coping found in restorations such as Prismatik Clinical Zirconia™, Lava™ Zirconia (3M ESPE; St. Paul, Minn.) and NobelProcera™ (Nobel Biocare; Yorba Linda, Calif.). Like most metals, zirconia exhibits a strong affinity for phosphate groups, and zirconia oxide is no different. We can take advantage of this fact with phosphate-containing primers, such as Monobond Plus (Ivoclar Vivadent; Amherst, N.Y.) and Z-Prime™ Plus (Bisco; Schaumburg, Ill.), or cements such as Ceramir® Crown & Bridge (Doxa Dental; Newport Beach, Calif.). Unfortunately, saliva also contains phosphates in the form of phospholipids, so when a BruxZir crown or bridge is tried in the patient’s mouth and comes in contact with saliva, the phosphate groups in the saliva bind to the zirconia oxide and cannot be rinsed out with water. Attempting to use phosphoric acid (which is full of phosphate groups) to “clean” the saliva out only makes the problem worse.
The only way we have found to successfully remove these phosphate groups from the interior of a BruxZir restoration is with the use of Ivoclean (Ivoclar Vivadent). This is a zirconia oxide solution placed inside the restoration for 20 seconds and then rinsed out. Due to the large concentration of free zirconia oxide in the Ivoclean, it acts as a sponge and binds to the phosphate groups that were previously bound to the BruxZir restoration. Once the Ivoclean is rinsed out, you will have a fresh bonding surface for the Monobond Plus, Z-Prime Plus or Ceramir to bond to.
The protocol would be:
- Try in BruxZir Solid Zirconia or zirconia-based restoration.
- Rinse saliva out of restoration.
- Place Ivoclean in restoration for 20 seconds and rinse.
- Cement restoration with Ceramir –or– place Monobond Plus/Z-Prime Plus and place with cement of your choice.